Diabetes Blog Week – Day 2 – We, the undersigned



OK, I'm late to the party and for the perceptive ones amongst you the title above is a little bit abandoned as Day 1 didn't exist! Sloppy, I know but better late than never. If you're looking for the reason I've dived in pop over here to read Daisy explain why it's a huge challenge to judge 16 years of managing a condition in a 20 minute appointment.

So participating in Diabetes Blog Week in scarily new to me. I've read many fantastic posts over recent years but the thought of being able to do six consecutive posts (yes only six because I'm a day late!) strikes fear into me. If you're new to my page I hope you enjoy the read and please pop back as I occasionally do update it. Sometimes!

So today's subject is........ "We the Undersigned...." A challenge to write a petition to someone to make a change.

Mine will be 'We the undersigned demand that our healthcare professionals do not judge our control as success or failure.'

This goes out to every one of my Doctors, nurses, opticians, chiropodists, and dietitians. Just because my control isn't always between 4 and 8 mmol/l (72 to 144 mg/dl) and I sometimes eat without testing (I know. Rebel!!), doesn't mean I've failed. It just means I've got something to work towards in improving my control. yes, sometimes I know the answers to all the questions yet still don't follow the 'rules'. I'm not naughty; I'm normal.  The D isn't going anyway and I'll wake up tomorrow with another opportunity to have an attempt at achieving the perfect day. Life isn't perfect and sometimes stuff just happens that means I won't spend every minute focusing on balancing my body. We don't fail we just continue to manage it 24/7 with no days off or time off in lieu.

Hopefully that strikes a chord and my final comment goes to my optician. I like you, I really do. The pictures you take of my eyes are fantastic and I trust you a lot more than a man in the NHS van. However, please don't ask me "How's your diabetes been lately?" It's a crap question that is normally replied with an "It's been OK." The question really demands an answer with graphs, trends, and in depth discussion but you don't really want that. Do you?

Thanks for reading and please come back tomorrow for more ramblings.

Comments

  1. My favorite part of this post is the bit at the end about the question. In my case, the diabetes belongs to my husand and daughter, but "how's it going." Is definitely a question you shouldn't ask unless you have a while to hear the answer.

    I've even had a couple of people say, "I thought you'd have her 'stable' by now" Um… it's been 2 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      2 months; pah - she should have perfect control by now surely? Mind you I'm 34 years in and I don't so I can't really comment :)

      Delete
  2. Absolutely love this, Dave. Really like the last paragraph in particular. Looking forward to reading the rest of your posts for D-Blog Week and thank you for the mention too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daisy. I kind of hijacked your subject but promise to fly solo tomorrow :)

      Delete
  3. Welcome to Blog Week! Great inaugural post! My daughter (age 13) is at 2 1/5 years on this journey. People with T1 are humans....make mistakes, forget things...but every day should be counted as a success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's exciting. Love your piece too.

      Every day we survive we've beaten the hands of cards that life has thrown at us so we should celebrate every day. Cake and balloons EVERY morning could get a little tiresome even though they are fully deserved :)

      Delete
  4. I get that "How's your diabetes?" by my secondary doctors (opthalmologist, lady doctor, etc.) and I'm always like "Really? As if you'll actually comprehend my answer."

    P.S. Glad to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments Allison. As always with this page it amazes me how people around the world have such common feelings and experiences. 'Meeting' new people is fun :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Post a Comment