Diabetes Blog Week - Day 5 - Disease Switch



So we've got to day 5 already. And I'm still writing. Not sure if that will surprise you as much as it does me! So what did the random subject machine throw out for today? ......

"Just like in the movie, today we’re doing a swap. If you could switch chronic diseases, which one would you choose to deal with instead of diabetes? And while we’re considering other chronic conditions, do you think your participation in the DOC has affected how you treat friends and acquaintances with other medical conditions? (Thanks to Jane of Jane K. Dickinson, RN, PhD, CDE and Bob of T Minus Two for this topic suggestion.)"

This stumped me initially. Firstly because I'm sat here scratching my head thinking; can I name any other chronic diseases of a comparative seriousness to diabetes? And secondly because (don't say this too loudly) me and diabetes sort of get on.  

I'll come to the second bit after addressing the first.

I like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable about my Type 1 but I know even after so long I'm still on an upwards learning curve. With any other condition I know nothing, nada, nowt. For me to sit here and choose something else to live with would be incredibly insulting to people with that condition. I'd feel it would be a bit like the old people we all know, who know of someone with type 1 who either died horrendously or managed to cure themselves - yes I'm looking at you Halle Berry! For an example of fury inducing misinformation just read the first comment on my piece from yesterday. To trigger a twitstorm of wrath from people around the world with a different condition is not an action I'm keen on taking. I prefer to sit here hoping I don't upset too many people with my almost coherent words.

So how do me and the D get on? This is a strange thing. I'd love for there to be no need for me to inject, test and stress out daily, but life is life and sometimes these things happen. On the flip of the topic above I don't know the problems that having something else would throw up. I think having diabetes from such a young age is a factor. It's part of me and is my 'norm'. 

And I get 'kit'! More gadgets than any man can ask for; testing kits, insulin pump, occasionally a CGM which gives me super-sexy graphs (is that OTT?) and links to the best online community in the word. Yep, absolutely. Without the need to stab and press buttons daily I wouldn't have you now reading this and my world would be a much poorer place because of that. 

In my game of life-pontoon I'm choosing to stick rather than twist. Boring but safe.

Thanks for reading again and all comments are welcome, even if they're stoooooopid :)

Comments